- Be Patient; Especially with Yourself – time is the only constant. It is ever changing and so are we. It is imperative on us to accept that “life is what happens when we are busy making other plans” (John Lennon). Life will happen, let it. It is ok to make plans, however, it is wise to accept that there are many moving parts in this thing called life and we just have to take things as they come. I love this quote I found on Instagram;
“Everything is Figureoutable”
2. Forgive Quickly; Especially Yourself – Imagine if babies were as hard on themselves as we are; they would never walk if every time they stumbled they sat down and said “perhaps I am not meant to walk, I keep falling”. They would never learn to talk if every time they said “lello” instead of yellow they thought “My tongue will never learn to say this word correctly, it is best I just forget it.” Treat yourself like you do a baby; forgive quickly, forget quickly and move on. Keep trying because sooner than later you will be running and the days when you would stumble every time you tried to stand up will be long gone. Behind you.
3. Appreciate the Journey; Your Journey – We often hear that we should trust our respective journeys. I think it is true. It is also wise to. Close your eyes, wait, you have to read this🤣 . Close your eyes after. Think about where you were last year this time; Me: I was staying in a then strangers house, at odds with my graduate supervisor and my friend with whom I had intended to live until I officially started my studies in January. I was worried about the situation I put her in for having to take in a black girl who was apparently a potential criminal and prostitute (I still crack up at this one. This is what racial profiling looks like in real life. Black and like sex? Prostitute. Black? Criminal.) and her having to deal with constant berating from family. It was a daunting experience no doubt. I got through it; I had tons of fun especially with her girls, her cat and her dog. I felt at home and I will never forget what she did for me. My mom did the same for so many others and I use to say “mummy yuh aguh gi weh you ass an’ shit chu yuh ribs” or “yuh tan deh sorry fi mawga dawg, dem same one ago tun roun’ bite yuh” and well, she still has her ass and she has yet to be bitten. It goes to show that we shouldn’t create narratives in our heads about what might happen because the truth is; anything can happen. We should instead give the best that we can to others and karma will repay us, the universe will repay and sometimes even the same person will. Perhaps not in the same way but in kind. All in all, my opinion on life? Just breathe man. Breathe. You’ll be fine. #babysteps
4. Show You Care. Show You Care. Show You Care – I cannot say when this trend begun but it is worrying. I grew up in an era where people mask their true emotions and feelings. We are afraid to feel, worst so publicly. We are afraid to show affection to those we love, we are afraid to be genuinely polite. We are afraid to be honest lest we offend someone. I don’t know about anyone else but I cannot say that I am a fan of this. I know it would not be fair to only censor “ignorant people” and I say this lightly as I too am ignorant. We can all be ignorant about certain things. What I think we could do is educate everyone. I think we can invest more time educating more people rather than put muzzles on everyone and allowing only those who can afford to take theirs off to have free speech and opinions. Anyhow, as you must realize I have gone on a tangent here albeit one that must be explored further; we will leave said for another time.
My point here is that we should be honest about our feelings and emotions. I say, if you love him/her, let them know. If you care for them, let them know.
5. You Matter. Literally; You are Protons, Neutrons and Electrons – God particle.
Mat·ter/ˈmadər/nounphysical substance in general, as distinct from mind and spirit; (in physics) that which occupies space and possesses rest mass, especially as distinct from energy.“the structure and properties of matter”
an affair or situation under consideration; a topic.“a great deal of work was done on this matter”
synonyms: affair, business, proceeding, situation, circumstance, event, happening, occurrence, incident, episode, experience; Moreverbbe of importance; have significance.“it doesn’t matter what the guests wear”
synonyms: importance, consequence, significance, note, import, weight; More
In case you still didn’t get it. You are a significant member of this ecosystem that we live in. All things are created for a reason including you and I. I understand that it is often challenging for us as we are brought here into this world and no one gave us an orientation package or a job description. We struggle especially in our teenage and young adult years trying to find our niche, our tribe and just figuring out why we are here. Well, as I said in the third point; trust your journey. Enjoy the ride, do more of what makes your soul happy, stay close to whatever feels like sunshine. That’s it. You are a major part of a plan that you don’t exactly know and you just have to trust that you will not only survive in the grand scheme of things but that you will also thrive. Why? because YOU MATTER.
I have more lessons to share but let’s take it in bite sizes. Stay close to the blog feed and you’ll see more in days ahead.
With much love,